A letter to the other candidate……

Share here

Dear K,

We have worked together now for almost 6 years in total, both moving from one organisation to another. Although we haven’t always had the best relationship, we have managed to remain civil, and have a natter every now and then.

When I left for maternity leave, it was all very exciting as it was my first baby, you had already had 2, and I was also moving house at the same time. Your advice and tips on managing that were gratefully received.

However, when on maternity leave, my boss contacted me to tell me about a new opportunity that was coming up, and encouraged me to apply for it. I knew that you would probably be going for that job too, as it was a promotion within your team, but I didn’t see that as a problem.

I think you were a bit shocked to see me on the day of the interview, as you didn’t realise I had applied. I saw the surprise on your face, and therefore post interview text you just to say good luck. I thought that was the grown up thing to do.

When I received the phone call I was in total, utter shock, as I never thought that they would give me the job. Especially seeing as I still had 6 months of maternity leave left, and had just been off with baby number 1. When I spoke to my boss, he told me that you hadn’t been very happy with the news, and that you may take a while to adjust.

I didn’t think any more of it until I came in for my keeping in touch days and you didn’t even acknowledge me. How was I supposed to manage someone who didn’t even make eye contact with me? I voiced my concerns with management, and a few weeks later when I heard you were leaving, I was quite relieved.

You are still friendly with lots of people at work, and that is fine. I am used to the fact that you may pop in to see everyone and ignore me. But ask yourself this – who gave me the job? Why is it that you are super friendly with the people who gave me the job, and it’s me you have chosen to punish?

As a fellow mum, you should know how hard it is coming back to work after a baby, especially to a new role. I was hoping that you would be one of those people I could count on for support when I returned to work – I was obviously wrong. I thought that women lifted each other up in the workplace – obviously not here.

However, I do want to thank you for something.

You have made me realise that I don’t care (or I try my hardest not to). I come to work to work. I work to build my career and earn a wage for my family. However, as soon as I have finished – it’s about shutting off, and going home to spend time with my family. So thank you, for making me realise what’s important, and teaching me how never to behave.

Mummy S x

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

8 Comments

• Lisa Pomerantz November 27, 2017 at 8:38 am

I must commend you for seeing the positive light in this scenario rather than focussing on the very awkward situ you are now in. Bravo on the new gig, and even more so for your professional manner and balance. #kcacols xo

• Chloe Ciliberto November 28, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Oh no that’s such a frustrating situation. I can understand why she might be feeling so gutted and down, but its not your fault you got the job. Maybe a different position would have come along in the future that would have been better suited to her. It’s good that she left so you don’t have to deal with someone who feels that way every time you go to work. But its so sad at the same time because she sounds like she was once a great person to work with. x

• Kelly-Anne | Mimi Rose and Me December 3, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Oh that’s not very kind. It’s such a shame she couldn’t be like you and be encouring and supportive. Even though we we all apply for jobs we want, we may not be the best person for the job. There are quite a few jobs that my friends and I have applied for but never have I ever made them feel bad about it. It’s just one of the things. Congratulations on your promotion!!!! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time”

• Kelly-Anne December 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm

It’s such a shame when this happens, but congratulations! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time.

• Sarah | Digital Motherhood December 7, 2017 at 9:44 pm

It can be so difficult at work with all the office politics can’t it. You just need to do what’s best for you and your family! Thanks for linking up to #KCACOLS

• Bread // Queer Little Family December 7, 2017 at 10:46 pm

I’m glad you have been mature and the better person here. This one of those ‘she’s obviously not worth your friendship.’ moments. #kcacols

• mainy December 8, 2017 at 10:00 am

People are the strangest sort, best to keep your head up and move on:)
    Mainy
    #KCACOLS

• Tracey Bowden December 9, 2017 at 12:32 am

It sounds like she really was struggling with what happened. I’m glad you were able to move on past it. It’s hard when someone can change so suddenly isn’t it #kcacols